The Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Special/Disability Services) mainly focuses on developing theoretical knowledge and effective strategies for educating young children, including those living with disability and other special needs.The degree provides up to date knowledge about contemporary issues in disability,child development and learning. You will examine inclusion as a response to achieving an excellent and equitable education and implement and develop inclusive teaching and community practices during well-supported site placements.It is a 4 year course. The course is offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work.
The course aims to produce graduates who:
- Have in-depth knowledge of how children learn and develop, particularly from birth to age eight;
- Have in-depth knowledge of effective teaching practices for children with disabilities, learning and behavioural difficulties;
- Demonstrate the capacity to design inclusive and intellectually challenging curriculum for diverse learners, and particularly for children from birth to age eight;
- Demonstrate the capacity to form and sustain effective relationships with children, families, colleagues, and community members;
- Apply their knowledge and skills in a range of educational and community-based settings with diverse individuals, their families and support persons;
- Apply critical reflection and deep theoretical knowledge to inform their professional practice;
- Actively promote and support policies and practices that take account of social and individual differences and ensure that all children learn and develop; and
- Undertake ongoing professional learning through a variety of pathways.
Job opportunities in Australia
After successful completion of the course, the potential occupations include:
- Early childhood teacher
- Special education teacher
- Developmental educator
- Youth and children’s support officer
- Disability liaison officer.
- Childcare centres
- Early learning centres
- Junior primary schools
- Special education settings
- Disability service settings.